How well do you know your musicals? Whether you’re a seasoned theatre-goer or just enjoy a good soundtrack, take on these musical quiz questions to find out how much you really know about the world of musical theatre! From classic shows like The Sound of Music and Les Misérables to more recent productions, we’ve got questions on all the biggest and best musicals. So put on your thinking cap and get ready to test your knowledge on this musical pub quiz!
Musical Quiz Questions and Answers
1. T-Rex’s “Children of the Revolution” featured in which movie?
2. In which musical do Tracy Lord and CK Dexter Haven appear?
3. In which musical is “The Duelling Cavalier” a film in the making?
4. Who sings “As Long As He Needs Me” in “Oliver!”?
5. Who directed “A Chorus Line”?
6. Which singer – famous for dubbing other actresses’ voices – played Sister Sophia in “The Sound of Music”?
7. What was the follow-up to “Saturday Night Fever” called?
8. Who played Carlotta in the film “Phantom of the Opera”?
9. What was the job of Joel Grey’s character in “Cabaret”?
10. Which musical was based on a Harold Gray comic strip?
11. What instrument does Robert de Niro play in “New York New York”?
12. Which musical does “The Ugly Duckling” come from?
13. Who sang “Moon River” in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”?
14. Which song in “Evita” was composed specially for the film?
15. How many Von Trapp children are there in “The Sound of Music”?
16. “Hopelessly Devoted to You” is sung in which movie?
17. Who are the two gangs in “West Side Story”?
18. Which character did Liza Minnelli play in “Cabaret”?
19. Which movie musical has the song “Feed the Birds”?
20. Who played Mama Rose in the 1993 movie “Gypsy”?
21. Which two musical legends starred in “Easter Parade”?
22. “Shall We Dance” features in which movie?
23. What was Stanley Holloway’s role in “My Fair Lady”?
24. In which film does Fat Sam fight it out with Dandy Dan?
25. “The Bare Necessities” come from which film?
26. In which film did Gordon Macrae play Billy Bigelow after Frank Sinatra dropped out?
27. Who played opposite Ewan McGregor in “Moulin Rouge”?
28. Which actress was I in “The King and I”?
29. In which musical would you see Lina Lamont?
30. Which musical movie features “The Cell Block Tango”?
31. In The Wizard of Oz, what was the name of Dorothy’s dog?
32. Who wrote the short stories about New York characters that provided the basis for the musical Guys and Dolls?
33. Which musical was loosely based upon the life of a real-life sharpshooting cowgirl?
34. What is the name of the nightclub singer who is the central character in Cabaret?
35. Which musical is based in an imaginary village in the Scottish highlands that comes to life for just one day every hundred years?
36. Which film musical set in the Black Hills of Dakota during the Gold Rush starred Doris Day?
37. Who is the main male character in the musical Carousel?
38. Which stage musical by Joan Littlewood featured songs from World War I?
39. Which film was the musical High Society based on?
40. From which musical comes the song “My name is Tallulah”?
41. The song “Memory” comes from which musical?
42. Which John starred in the film “Grease”?
43. Which Michael had a hit with “Music of the Night”?
44. Who sang with Elaine Paige on the single “I Know Him So Well”?
45. Which musical did the song come from?
46. Which musical about a magical nanny is based on a film with Julie Andrews?
47. The song “Springtime for Hitler” comes from which musical?
48. In the film “Evita”, who sang “You Must Love Me”?
49. Philip Schofield and Jason Donovan have played which biblical character?
50. In which song are the words, “I kept my promise, Don’t keep your distance”?
51. Which musical features Danny and Sandy in the rock’n’roll 50s?
52. Tim Rice and writers from which supergroup wrote “Chess”?
53. Which Antonio featured in the film “Evita”?
54. Who starred in the 60s film “Summer Holiday”?
55. Who provided the music for “Cats”?
56. Which Pete wrote the rock opera “Tommy”?
57. Who wrote the lyrics for “Jesus Christ Superstar”?
58. What word describes Joseph’s Dreamcoat?
59. The hit musical “Mamma Mia” is based on the music of which pop group?
60. Which Victor Hugo novel became a musical?
61. Which stage musical is set in the Paris Opera House?
62. Which Orchestra feature on the No. 1 hit “Xanadu”?
63. Which type of Nights are in the title of a No. 1 single from “Grease”?
64. In which musical does the character Norma Desmond appear?
65. Who had a UK No. 1 with “Any Dream Will Do”?
66. Which Elaine played Grizabella the Glamour Cat?
67. Which Cockney David played Che on stage in “Evita”?
68. Which musical does the song “Cabaret” come from?
69. Which Michael first starred in “Aspects of Love”?
We hope you enjoyed these musicals quiz questions with answers because we had a blast writing them. We’re working on more musical quizzes, so check back soon for some more.